Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Snugglepot and Cuddlepie


I have been asked about Snugglepot and Cuddlepie after yesterdays blossom post - which got more comments than my quilt pics :(

Anyway - they were the main characters in a series of books by May Gibbs who lived in Sydney and were known as the gumnut babies. They were published in about 1918 and were based on the the local plants found in the bush near Bunbury West Australia where May Gibbs played as a child.


The "big bad" Banksia Men are the villians of the story and are modelled on the appearance of aged Banksia "cones", with follicles for eyes and other facial features.

They really scared me when I was a child but I can't see them now without thinking of the stories.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautifully told! My Mum read Snugglepot and Cuddlepie to me when I was small and her Mum read it to her when she was small. A very special story in my family!

Hugz

Maria said...

A turely beautiful Australian story with such gorgeous pictures.

Anonymous said...

How fun. I love the picture of them in the little gumnuts. Thanks for posting and educating this foreigner.