Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Quilters Meet in Seoul

The internet is wonderful thing which I am sure you will all agree. When I posted that I would be in Seoul I was contacted by fellow textile artist Frances Holliday Alford whose work I have always admired. She was going to be there at the same time so we agreed to meet and spend the day doing stuff. Although we had only met once before briefly at Houston, within minutes we were chatting away like long time friends.

We met up with one of her Peace Corps friends who graciously showed us around the InChaDon area which is full of beautiful Korean art and incredibly stylish clothes with (unfortunately) prices to match. It did show, however, that style and art is definitely alive and well in Seoul. I think I may need a return visit before we leave.

We also (finally) found the bead market although I didn't do my normal damage as although there were many stalls the variety was not really there and prices were similar to those at home so it seems silly to have to buy another suitcase to carry more home. You never know though - I might find something else to load up the already excess baggage.




Also popped down to another floor where there was wall to wall fabric. I didn't know there were so many types of denim.

These men carry bolts of fabric up and down the stairs all day on their backs - even though there are lifts in the building. They looked very hot.

Had a great day with Frances and we talked and talked and talked .........

No comments: