Thursday, July 12, 2012

Playing in the Studio


I am really enjoying this time at home and just playing in the Studio. I have no major deadlines (for a little while) and so thought I would make some more workshop samples.

This piece of fabric has been hanging around for ever. I started to hand stitch it but didn't think it worked so unpicked the little bit I had done.

The fabric was painted with Sun Dyes and then overstamped with simple hand made stamp which was inspired by building embellishments in Italy. I know it is wonky but that's what I love about making your own stamps. This one was done in Wet & Grow but my Ezi Carve would have been just as easy.
I stamped them into a grid 4 x 4.
 I really thought it needed a gold metallic thread but I haven't had much luck with metallics through the sewing machine needle. But I decided to give it a go with the HandiQuilter Sweet 16 and it worked brilliantly.
When it was quilted I decided all the little bubbles in the border section needed a bit more something. So using Opalescence paint lightly on a brayer - I rolled it carefully and lightly over the border section.  I really like this effect.

No comments: