Sunday, February 10, 2008

Not my idea of fun

My husband has a passion for reading and books. He has always wanted to go to the world's second largest (Largest is in Frankfurt) Book Fair. It is usually held annually in Calcutta (Kolkata) and this year he decided to go. As I am not big on heat, crowds and dirt I graciously declined the invitation to join him.

As I have nothing creative I can show you at the moment as I am knee deep in a large quilt and preparing for the Australasian Quilt Convention I am going to share some of his images.

The hotel he stayed at was the Fairlawn which is one of those places that he had read about that you have to see before you die. It certainly sounded like a bit of history. Building has been there since 1781 and according to the website it is 'defined by its idiosyncrasies'. Perfect description I think. This is the balcony outside his room.
.
This is the water heater in his bathroom - note the black hole on the switch plate which is exactly that - a hole showing the wiring- just the thing to mix with water I would think.
The Book Fair was being held in the Madan - which appears to be a large park. The stands were all being made of bamboo - this was a couple of days before the planned opening.
And these are the toilets under construction.


As in all of India - the rivers are used for everything

Loved these postboxes

The only way to get to school don't you think?
More tomorrow.

1 comment:

Lindi said...

India is such a differnt place. I love listening to travellers tales about their experiences there, and looking at photos, but have no desire to ever go there.