Sunday, September 6, 2009

Where have I been?


All over the place but not with online access so no posts but I have been really busy.

Just finished 3 days with the Auckland Quilters and before that I was in Napier. Napier is a town that was destroyed in an earthquake in 1931 and was rebuilt in the (then) current style which happened to be Art Deco. It is a wonderful step back into an incredible era of design which I love. There are many more photos here.






We were also very thrilled that Clare Plug's exhibition 'Look South' based on her travels to Antarctica as one of New Zealand’s 2006/7 Arts Fellows still running and we had it all to ourselves to wander through.
I had a couple of wonderful classes at Patch and Quilt which is a quilt store located on a winery and although I don't imbibe - Peter certainly enjoyed the hospitality. One of my highlights was getting friendly with Jim the pet sheep and the latest addition to the menagerie - Georgie who was only 10 days old. For a city chic - this was very cool.

4 comments:

Leah said...

nice photos, and i love your 'life force' pink and beaded work below.

Judy said...

Lisa,

Thanks for that bit of history about Napier and the pictures, I love Art Deco too.

Rayna said...

I love reading about your travels! These buildings are to die for - I looked at them and thought "WPA" because that's what the buildings built in the U.S. during the depression and looked like. WPA - Works Progress Administration set up by Pres. Roosevelt to give people jobs. The Empire State Building and Rockefeller Center in NY City were built during this time and the artists painted wonderful murals which are also identifiable as from that period. Oops - I didn't mean to go on like this!

Anonymous said...

Hi Lisa
thanks for a great class at Western Quilters on Monday. Hope you enjoyed the Hamilton Show, it is a lot smaller than than the Australian ones isn't it?
Hope you receive the attached photo of my version of your "Aurora' quilt.
Thanks again
Pat G