Friday, October 30, 2009

Rejeaneration


No it is not a typo just a play on words. I have been (finally) working on my City & Guilds course again and the latest activity was to create a patchwork piece using something recyled. It had to contain some identifiable basic elements of design like balance, harmony, contrast, movement etc

I found this little pair of child's shorts at a thrift store and loved the green zip so decided that they would be perfect for the exercise.

I love the way the fabric looked from the elasticised waistband once the elastic and stitching was removed. Doesn't it look like indigo shibori. I used the waist cord for additional decoration as well as the belt tags.

I broke 2 needles while sewing through the thick layers and freemotion quilted it (where I could) with green thread to accentuate the green of the zipper.

I think this might be a fun workshop. What do you think?

5 comments:

Norma Schlager said...

I love it! You really did a nice job of repurposing those shorts and it looks well balanced to me. It must have been fun to do, other than the broken needles.

Anonymous said...

taking a little break from healing the sick..[!]
I LOVE working with old denim. I use a needle branded for sewing leather[schmetz make them]for my machine and find this is less prone to breaking.love the green by the way
duty calls again now...
camcas

Maya Sara Matthew said...

that's a great piece.

Anonymous said...

It looks wonderful. I love the way you used the green and the belt tags

I have just started the City and Guilds course and am battling for time which is most frustrating. How are you finding the course. I am LOVING the work I have done so far.

Helen said...

Lisa, this is fantastic. What a treasure to find the jeans with a green zip already there to use. I love it.