Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Return from Rocky




I have just returned from a few days teaching in Rockhampton which is in Central Queensland. It is also known as the beef capital of Australia and I certainly ate some beautiful beef while I was there.

I was based at Patchwork Paradise which is a fabulous store which actually has taken over the shop next door and created two beautiful classrooms. They are light and airy and have amazingly high ceilings and lots of space for all the students. Of course the chocolates and lollies on the work tables were very popular as were the pumkin scones and home made slices for morning and afternoon teas. I really do get spoiled sometimes when I am away teaching.

One of the things that really blew me away this time was the participation of three mother/daughter pairs. My oldest student was 86 (nearly 87) and she was enthusiastic and great fun. She agreed with me that keeping busy and learning new things was one of the things that kept her so young. I had so much admiration with her enthusiasm and willingness to try new things. Leaves a lot of us with food for thought. Thanks Nell!

My youngest student Jasmine is 8 and she had a great time embellishing her fabrics and playing with new techniques and materials. She is even asked by adults for her opinion on colours and I can see why. She is a talent already and it is so great to see that the future of our passion is in good hands.

I have already been asked to return next year which is always a great boost to my confidence.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love the landscape.

ed hardy hoodies