Saturday, January 12, 2013

New Overlay Work

I having a lot of fun playing with overlay designs for my new workshop Opulent Overlays and thought I would show you my latest.

First I quilted the design on the silk  quilt sandwich. I have various ways of transferring the design onto the fabric which I talk about in my workshop.

Using a combination of Opulence Paints and a little Sun Pearl I painted the design onto the fabric within the quilting lines

It sorts of creates a trapunto effect without the effort.
Using the central motif in the design I carved a stamp and then stamped all around the central motif mixig the paints with different strengths to get variation.
 I  quilted around these motifs with a gold metallic thread to increase the opulence. I was very pleased at how my Handiquilter Sweet 16 handled the metallic thread
Here is the finished piece.

1 comment:

Nina Marie said...

ohhh this is interesting - I have all these cool paints but never quite sure what to do with them! what a good idea! I would like to invite you to link up with us on Off the Wall Fridays on my blog - where art quilters link up on Fri to encourage, motivate and educate each other! The weekly link party has really helped us all keep going !