Monday, September 13, 2010

Pitt Rivers Museum


In Oxford we managed to spend a few hours at the Pitt Rivers Museum. It was closed for renovations when we were last there so we thought we would try again.

The Pitt Rivers Museum was founded in 1884 when Lt.-General Pitt Rivers, an influential figure in the development of archaeology and evolutionary anthropology, gave his collection to the University. His two conditions were that a museum was built to house it and that someone should be appointed to lecture in anthropology.

It was well worth the wait and I would really like to spend much longer there some time.

Unfortunately my camera was playing up and most of my photos were too dark but here is a taster.


It is full of all sorts of collections of shape, texture and general weirdness.

1 comment:

Judy said...

Lisa,

Worth the wait as you say, just my kind of place, and I love the designs on the pottery.