A few years ago in Scotland I made a couple of rubbings in St Andrews. They have been sitting waiting patiently for me to do something with them.
Finally inspiration has come and with a few free days and a need to create, the moment has come.
This was made with a gold Shiva Stick and was from a small gravestone of a child I think.
I laid the rubbing on another piece of the same poplin fabric so any excess paint would soak through and could be used for the back.
I probably should have used thicker paint so it wouldn't bleed but I liked the effect.
The back piece was a bit mottled so I gave it an extra wash of paint to tie it all together.
I quilted around the main leaves with a 12wt Aurifil Thread (ignoring the bleeding paint)
For the internal fill quilting I used a finer thread and an ivy leaf design
The outside fill design was a little trio of seeds
As is usual for me - when the quilting was finished I wanted to do more so I filled a sponge roller with a russet paint and rolled it lightly over the outside fill design.
I will trim it to 12" square so it may appear in next year's SAQA Auction unless it sells before.
A fun couple of days playing and great free motion quilting practice as a bonus.